Minor arrested after grandma’s murder


The son of a murdered 63-year-old Tongaat granny, says the family is shocked by the brutality of the crime and the arrest of his relative, a minor.

The 13-year-old accused, who was arrested last week, a day after Idah Ngcobo, was bludgeoned with a hammer at her home in Fairbreeze, was taken to a place of safety, as ordered by the Verulam Children’s Court.

The deceased’s son, James Ngcobo, 40, told Tongaat and Verulam Tabloid that his family was battling to get to grips with the murder and the teen’s arrest. The minor was accompanied to the Tongaat police station by her mother, who also responded to questions in court posed by the prosecutor and magistrate.

Her bail application is set for tomorrow (Wednesday). The lifeless body of the granny, who suffered from a stroke last month, was found in a pool of blood by neighbours who rushed to the home after hearing cries for help. Ngcobo, claimed that police arrested the wrong person.
“The child did not display any criminal traits. I do not believe that she killed my mother.
“I cannot understand why my mom, who was ill and harmless was murdered in such a brutal manner. My mom had a tough life and sold sweets and fruits at a school to generate an income, she was harmless,” he said.

The minor told police that she was hanging clothes on the washing line when she heard her granny screaming for help. When neighbours rushed to the house after the screams of the minor, they found a bloody scene. Colonel Thembeka Mbele, the provincial police spokesperson, said the Tongaat police are investigating a case of murder.

Mbele said: “On arrival at the scene, they were greeted by the members of the community and a young lady who was screaming and crying hysterically. “The devastated female led police to the lounge where her grandmother’s lifeless body was lying on the floor.

“On questioning, the child stated that she was hanging laundry on the line outside when she heard her granny screaming for help. She went back inside the house and noticed an unknown male assaulting her granny with a hammer. “She claimed that she fled and sought assistance from a member of the community, who went back to the house with her, however that man had fled.”

Following the 13-year-old’s first appearance last week, Mbele said: “The suspect is remanded into a place of safety.” Nazir Sadack, chairman of Tongaat Community Policing Forum (CPF), sent his condolences to the family and friends.He said: “It is sad that the granny was murdered a few days before the 16 Days of Activism for No Violence Against Women and Children. There is a need to educate the public that crime does not pay.”


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here